Thursday 20 May 2021

COFFEE ICE-CREAM

 


We had locked Danny out in the balcony as Skip was having breakfast. I was at my work desk, whipping out a draft when I heard Skip call out for me, followed by some incoherent sounds.

Lockdown has given me selective deafness and I wondered if it had turned into the actual one. While I wriggled my pinkie in my ear, the calls became frantic. Skip was standing with the plate in his hand, pointing towards the curtain rod adjoining the door that led to the balcony. I kept staring at it, seeing nothing untoward…

…until I heard the word Squirrel. ( I’m getting goosebumps even as I type this out). Those new to my blog may perhaps not know of my extreme fear of critters (including birds) that enter the house. I am at times unable to move in fear and have been known to abandon my baby and run for my dear life when a vicious  magpie, looking to attack only me, entered the house.

I, thankfully had my phone with me. I called my father-in-law and  whilst precious seconds ticked away, having to listen to the recorded, automated message on the importance of vaccination, Skip and I  had our eyes glued on the squirrel. I mustered enough courage to be able to talk in my extremely calm, low-pitched voice (at times like these, I cannot scare people by howling into the phone as soon as they receive the call) and asked him to come up and save us from the squirrel.

What followed was a chaotic chase. Danny had to be let in as the balcony door had to be opened to let the squirrel out. Danny spotted the critter and started barking. The Squirrel jumped on to our bar section and curled up into a ball (it was all an act, I would say). I pulled Skip in front of me as a human shield. My father-in-law, coolly walked into the kitchen, got a long-handled broom and gently prodded the squirrel out of the house. It ran out and jumped on to the jackfruit tree facing our house.

Skip proclaimed I had frightened the Squirrel away.

All in a ‘work from home’ day’s work!



My favourite flavour in ice-cream is coffee and while adding the coffee powder, I wondered if it was enough for the flavour to come through.

Yes, it was!

Oh, how I miss the Corner House Coffee Ice-Cream but I could confidently say this came pretty close to it in taste, if not in texture.

If you do not have heavy cream, you can also use fresh cream. Read up on how to use fresh cream for ice creams on this post – Mango icecream.

Stay home, stay safe and follow me on Facebook and Instagram (Lucidlucent).



COFFEE ICE-CREAM

Ingredients:

Instant coffee powder – 3 gms (2 tsps)

Hot water – 2 tbsps

Heavy cream – 250 gm (1 cup)

Condensed milk – 200 gm (1/2 cup)


Method:

1.     Whip the cream and set aside.

2. Dissolve the coffee powder in hot water. Once cooled, add it to the condensed milk and mix well.

3. Add the whipped cream to the condensed milk mixture and mix until fully combined.

4.     Pour the mixture into the ice-cream tin. You may also additionally pour coffee decoction on the ice cream mixture and swirl it.

5.     Freeze it overnight.

6.     Done.

 

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Wonder who squirmed more..you or the squirrel;)
    Can you hear me scream for the ice cream?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...