Tuesday 8 September 2020

APPLE CRISP




21.08.2020: Cobbler, Crisp , Crumble?

They all look the same to me which of course led me to a quick search on the internet. Cobbler has a layer of fruit at the bottom and has a biscuit style uneven (cobbled) topping which gives it its name.

Crisp and Crumble are similar, both have a streusel topping -the only difference is that one contains oats and the other doesn’t. I read a few articles and it’s still not clear which of the two has oats. If you have the answer, please do drop a comment below.

This recipe is from The Chunky Chef. I have thrown in some additional ingredients and halved the recipe. 


I love apple pie. Do you love it too? If you do, you must follow me on Facebook and Instagram @lucidlucent. I’ve never baked an apple pie. I’m still a bit intimidated by the idea of making a pie crust from scratch. The Apple Crisp is a wonderful and easy substitute if you do happen to have a craving for an apple pie or as in my case, have apples lying around without nobody to eat them.

For as long as I can remember, we have been feeding Skip an apple a day. He HATES that fruit with all his heart. When I told him that I had made apple crisp, he didn’t seem particularly enthusiastic about it. He said he would try a spoon of it and  then poof, polished off half the dish! It was that good!



I think it tasted even better the next day. It is so simple to make, you cannot go wrong with the ingredients, quantities or the baking. The cinnamon and lemon lend a wonderful flavour to the baked apples and the streusel is crisp and delicious. 



We had  a warm slice of it with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream and drizzled caramel sauce on it. Yummy! 


APPLE CRISP

Ingredients:
Apples – 3
Granulated sugar – 1 tbsp
Cinnamon – 1 tsp
Lemon juice – 2 tsp
For the topping:
Rolled Oats – ½ cup
All-purpose flour (maida)- ½ cup
Light brown sugar – ¾ cup
Cold unsalted butter – ¼ cup
Walnuts – 2 tbsp (optional)
Sunflower seeds – 1 tbsp
 watermelon seeds- 1 tbsp
salt- a pinch

Method:

1.    Preheat oven at 180C. Grease an 8 inch baking dish.
2.  In a separate dish, combine the chopped apples, granulated sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice. Transfer it to the greased dish.
3. In another bowl, add flour, oats, sugar and salt. Rub the cold butter into this mixture with your finger until it resembles bread crumbs. Add the walnuts and seeds and mix it well.  
4.   Spread the toppings evenly over the apples and bake for about 40-50 minutes until the topping turns golden brown.
5.     Done.

Recipe Notes:
·     You may use any variety of apples. I peeled the apples but you may use them with the peel. Here’s what I did with the peel – Ate it! I chopped them into tiny bits but you may also slice it.
·    The nuts and seeds are optional but they give that additional crunch to the topping and walnuts taste so good in it.





7 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...