Monday 31 August 2020

AVOCADO CAKE WITH AVOCADO FROSTING (FATLESS)



12.08.2020: We have three Avocado (butterfruit) trees in our house. Whilst all three do not bear fruit simultaneously, we do manage to get a good crop every year. We were done with our batch of Avocados when I came across an Avocado cake on one of the food groups that I am on, on Facebook. Skip and I were admiringly looking at the lovely green colour, Skip was excited about the cake as he LOVES Avocado, so much that he often has it plain. I love it with either sugar or on my toast with a sprinkling of salt and pepper. I also love guacamole.




I was expressing my regret to Skip of not having posted any Avocado based recipe on the blog whilst we still had the fruit. The other day he excitedly came running up the stairs saying he had spotted 11 butterfruits in one of the trees

You can bake the cake now” said he.

I adapted the recipe for this cake from the blog – Naïve cook cooks.

This is a fatless cake- there is no butter/oil used in this cake. Unlike other fatless cakes, this recipe called for baking powder. Also, I have used regular sugar and not castor. Fatless sponges are typically dry and go best with cream and fruits. This cake is comparatively healthier as there’s no butter or oil in it and it has a fruit in it. Yayyyy! If you want to bake a cake with a vegetable in it, you can check out my post on Zucchini Cake.




The recipe for the frosting is inspired from Crazy for Crust. I did not follow the quantities mentioned in the recipe. The recipe called for the following proportions – 1 avocado, 1 tbsp butter, ½ tsp vanilla essence, 2 cups powdered sugar. If you want a thicker frosting, increase the quantity of the butter.




Did this cake taste good? Hmm…

I must be honest. This is one of the prettiest cakes I’ve baked but I personally didn’t think it to be the tastiest. It’s all a matter of taste I suppose (pun intended). I may probably have a sensitive palette as I’ve sometimes felt that the avocado leaves a disagreeable aftertaste that sits on the back of the tongue. I felt the same way with the cake. Also, I did not find the cake to be very moist. Sky, on the other hand, loved the cake more so after I declared it to be a healthy cake.

Did you find this cake pretty? Then please do follow me on Instagram and Facebook @lucidlucent.




AVOCADO CAKE WITH AVOCADO FROSTING

Ingredients:

For the cake:
Sugar – 1 cup
Eggs – 4
Avocado pulp – 1 cup
All purpose flour (maida) – 2 cups
Baking powder – 1.5 tsp
Vanilla essence – 1 tsp

For the frosting:
Avocado pulp – 3/4th cup
Butter – 1 tbsp
Vanilla essence – ½ tsp
Powdered sugar – ½ cup or as per taste.

Method:

1.Preheat oven at 180C. Grease and prepare the baking dish.
2.Beat the eggs and sugar with an electric beater ( I would recommend using an electric beater as the eggs have to be beaten well) until the mixture doubles up in volume ( for about 5- 8 minutes).
3.Add the mashed avocado to the above mixture and gently mix.
4.Sieve flour and baking powder and add it to be above mixture. Gently fold it in only until you no longer see streaks of flour. Do not over mix.
5.Bake it at 180C for about 35 minutes or until done.
6.For the frosting: Mix the avocado and butter until it is smooth. Add the vanilla essence and powdered sugar and mix until combined.
7.Frost the cake once it’s completely cooled.
8. Done.

Recipe Notes:
  • You may also use a lemon glaze as frosting for this cake.





5 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...