Tuesday 25 August 2020

LEMON ZUCCHINI CAKE


01.08.2020: The whole time that I was baking this cake, I wondered what MNR would have to say about this cake as he considered my post on Kheer with Bottlegourd a blasphemy! Hahaha.




Ever since I made Zucchini Boats, Zucchinis have been a staple at my place. I make them atleast once a month and each time I try them out with a different topping. Earlier this month, I craved to eat a nice, lemony cake. As I was mentally going through the list of lemon-based cake recipes I had saved, Radha was rattling off the vegetables we had in our fridge and asked me if I was planning on baking Zucchinis that night. I decided to bake a Zucchini cake.instead. I remembered having seen Zucchini Cake recipes on the internet but never dared to use a vegetable in my cakes earlier.

The Zucchini Chocolate cake seems to be the most popular amongst the Zucchini cakes, this vegetable makes the chocolate cake moist and delicious and you would never ever notice its presence in the cake (so they said). I wanted my Zucchini’s presence to be felt.

So, I zeroed in on the Lemon Zucchini Cake (lemon in it, tadaaaa 😊). I got this recipe from the blog- icecreaminspiration.




The answer is NO. In case you were wondering if you could taste Zucchini in the cake. You get bits of it in your mouth but these by itself lack any distinct taste or flavour. An unsuspecting person would just think it to be lemon rind having lost its tartness in the cake. Is the cake delicious? It ABSOLUTELY is! The cake is moist and the sweet and tangy lemon glaze makes it taste heavenly.

I do not have a loaf tin so I decided to use a glass dish for baking the cake. Please check the bottom of the glassware if it is oven safe before you decide to use one. Metal pans can withstand higher temperatures, hence while using a glass dish, make sure to reduce the heating temperature by about 20C. Also, it takes longer to bake in a glass dish.


After being emboldened by the success of this cake, I also baked an Avocado Cake with Avocado Frosting. More on that in my next post.

Skip was helping me with the photography and after my 10th click, lost patience! 





Skip was excited to eat Zucchini in the cake and wouldn’t let Sky have the second slice until he guessed the vegetable in it. He couldn’t but needless to say he did get the second slice.

Curious about the Avocado cake? Follow me on Facebook and Instagram @lucidlucent and you will know when that post is out.




LEMON ZUCCHINI CAKE
Ingredients:

For the cake:
Granulated sugar : 1 1/3 (One and one thirds) cups
Vegetable oil – ½ cup
Eggs – 2
Buttermilk – ½ cup ( if you don’t have buttermilk at home, refer to recipe notes)
Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
Lemon zest – 1 tbsp
All purpose flour (maida) – 2 cups
Salt – a pinch
Baking powder – 2 tsps
Zucchini (grated) – 1 cup

For the lemon glaze:
Powdered sugar – ½ cup
Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Milk – 1 tbsp

Method:

1.     Preheat oven and grease a baking dish.  I used a 9*5 baking dish.
2.     Sieve the flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
3.   In a bowl, add eggs and beat them well. Add oil and sugar to the eggs and beat until it is mixed well.
4.     Add buttermilk, lemon juice and lemon zest to the above mixture and blend well.
5.     Add the sieved ingredients and mix only until no lumps are visible.
6.    Add the grated Zucchini and gently fold it into the mixture. Do not over – mix at this stage.
7.     Pour the batter into the dish and bake at for about 40-45 minutes or until done. Remove the cake from the dish and let it cool completely.
8.     For the glaze: mix the sugar, lemon juice and milk and drizzle the liquid over the cake. The glaze will harden in time.
9.     Done.

Recipe Notes:
  • How to make Buttermilk at home: Take half a cup of milk and add 2 tsps of vinegar/lemon juice and stir it. Set aside for 10-15 minutes. Voila, you have buttermilk ready.





4 comments:

  1. Interesting...vegetable in a cake. Looks delicious too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have a few other such interesting recipes lined up. There's a vegetable in a cookie recipe too that I am yet to try :)

      Delete
  2. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘ŒπŸ‘Œ

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow vegetable in a cake and so tastyπŸ˜‹

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...