Saturday 29 August 2020

CARAMEL FOX NUTS (MAKHANA)



12.08.2020: Do you know why these are called 'Fox' Nuts? These come from a plant called Euryale Ferox also commonly called the prickly waterlily. These are also called Phool Makhana (in India) and Lotus Seeds.

These are commonly consumed during periods of religious fasting. The makhana is a super snack- rich in nutrients and low in cholesterol, fat and sodium.

For the longest time, I have been having them with butter, salt and pepper. I first dry roast the seeds and then add a smidgen of butter and toss them in salt and pepper. I had a 100 gm packet lying around and decided to make it different this time.

That night was to be our movie night and I fondly remembered the tub of caramel and salted popcorn mix that gave me company during films, good and bad- the sole reason for agreeing to watch movies in Vega City Mall which is at the other end of town (they have the best caramel popcorn there).

When Skip and I went for movies together, we often fought over the choice of popcorn. He loves cheese and I, a mix of caramel and salt. Skip doesn’t like caramel and I don’t like cheese. The mixed flavours come only in large sized tubs which I cannot finish. So, it was only fair that we bought a tub of caramel and cheese mix. Skip would dip his sticky fingers ( he always has to lick his fingers to get the cheese powder off it!)  and go digging into the tub looking for cheese and would end up picking only the caramels and I would end up with soggy cheese ones, made wet with his little fingers.




I decided we would eat caramel makhana that night. Sky said he would prefer salt. So, I used only half of it to try caramelised makhana. I have decided to try the Dry Fruit Makhana with the remaining fox nuts. I will post that recipe soon!


These are sooooooo good. Skip loved them and so did Sky. Can you hear that crunch? As good as caramel popcorn with the wonderful makhana flavour. Use the exact quantities mentioned by me for an even and light coating of the caramel sauce.

The recipe for the caramel sauce is inspired from the YouTube Channel- Gol Roti.




Yeh makhane ka rass zara chakhna, oi makhna oi makhna…..

Do you love salted caramel popcorn too or grooved to the Amitabh-Govinda-Madhuri starrer song? Then I must insist you follow me on Instagram and Facebook @lucidlucent. Thank you. 


CARAMEL FOX NUTS (MAKHANA)

Ingredients:
Fox nuts (Makhana) – 50 gms
Sugar – 4 tbsp
Water – 3 tbsp
Butter – 1 tbsp
Milk – 5 tbsp
Salt/sea salt – a pinch (optional) 

Method:

1. Grease a plate or line it with butter paper.  
2. Toast the fox nuts until they brown. I dry roasted them in a pan for about 10 minutes. Set aside.
3.To the same pan, add sugar and water and stir until the sugar melts. Keep stirring it continuously.
4.When the liquid reduces and thickens, add the butter and stir it until the butter melts.
5.To this add the milk and a pinch of salt and keep stirring until the sauce reduces further. It shall thicken and turn a lovely caramel colour.
6.Turn off the heat and immediately add the toasted fox nuts. Mix it well until the nuts are coated with the caramel sauce.
7.  (If you have sea salt, skip adding salt to the sauce and as soon as you have coated the nuts with the sauce, sprinkle a little sea salt on it). This step is optional. 
8.  Spread and separate the fox nuts on the greased plate/butter paper.
9. Let it cool and in about 10 minutes, the fox nuts would have turned crunchy.
10. Done.







3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...