Tuesday 14 July 2020

SAMOSA



09.05.2020: About 100 metres away from our house is a bakery that sells Samosas. At times when I have too much work at office, I take a two minute break and think about these Samosas. Pre-Covid times had me eating these Samosas about once a month. During the lockdown, I was craving for Samosas and decided to make them at home. I’d never imagined I’d be making them at home! Lockdown had me trying out a lot of dishes I’d never have otherwise tried at home.






My friend S sent me a video of Ring Samosas that looked so pretty. So, first I made the regular looking Samosa and then on Skip’s birthday, I made the ring Samosas. I have used the same recipe for both. Also, I didn’t have most of the masalas (spices) required for the filling, but the Samosa still tasted good. I will list all the ingredients as shown in the original recipe but the filling tastes just as great even with minimal spices. I need to blow my own trumpet, I was mighty pleased with myself for having made Samosas at home. The conical ones are slightly browned, those are from my first attempt but they tasted great! The shell was crispy and the filling was spicy and tangy. I had some homemade date and tamarind chutney to go along with it.

The ring Samosas are perfect party snacks, they taste great, they look pretty and they are easy to make. Here are a few TIPS to get your Samosa right:

1.      Knead a tight dough, do not add too much water.
2.      The oil shouldn’t be too hot when you drop the dough in for frying and keep the flame on low.
3.      When you’re frying the second batch, if you find the oil too hot, turn off the flame and light it again after a few minutes once the oil has cooled down.

Here’s a video of me making the ring shaped Samosa:









SAMOSA

Ingredients:

For the shell:
Maida (All purpose flour) – 2 cups
Salt – 1 tsp
Ajwain (carom seeds) – 1 tsp
Ghee/oil – 4 tsp
Water
For the filling:
Oil –As required
Jeera (cumin seeds) – 1 tsp
Hing (Asafoetida) – 1 tsp
Saunf (Fennel) – 1 tsp
Ginger-Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Boiled Potatoes – 4-5 medium sized
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tbsp
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Chopped Green Chilly – 1
Salt – to taste
Green peas – ½ cup
Cumin powder -1 tsp
Anardana powder (dried pomegranate seeds) – 1 tbsp
Aamchur powder (dried mango) – ½ tsp
Fresh coriander – 1 tbsp

Method:
1.    Shell: Add Ghee/oil to maida, salt and ajwain mixture and combine it well. Add water as required and knead it into semi-hard dough. Cover it with a moist cloth and let it rest for 30 minutes. You may make the filling during this period.
2.   Filling: Heat oil in a pan. Add jeera, hing and saunf to it. Add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a minute.
3.    Crumble the potatoes and add it to the pan (mash the potatoes a bit more for the ring Samosa). To this, add red chilli powder, coriander powder, green chilly and salt. Mix and sauté well.
4.     Add the green peas. Cook until the moisture in the potato evaporates.
5.  To this add the cumin powder, anardaana powder, aamchur powder and coriander. Cook for about 3 minutes more. Set aside and let the mixture cool.
6.      Divide the dough into roundels, flatten it and then shape it as desired.
7.      Once the Samosas are shaped, let it rest for 15 minutes.
8.      Deep – fry the dough on low flame for about 10 minutes or until it browns.
9.      Done.

Recipe Notes:
·        Refer to TIPS mentioned above.

When lockdown was declared in March, I got my drawing book out and decided to try something new and sketch a portrait. I scrolled through images and settled on the picture of my little pudding of a nephew. As I struggled on getting those jiggly cheeks and piercing eyes right, I realised portraits was not my cup of tea or I should probably chose a random image from the net that doesn’t bear resemblance to anyone I know. Typically, not one to leave any work incomplete, I couldn’t get myself to finish this project.

I made this Mandala instead and as I didn’t have a geometry box at home, this one was made using bowls and lids.








10 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...