Monday 11 February 2019

A Clockwork Orange



I have quite a number of books on my “to read” list, some making it to the list as recommendations from friends and most from the ‘top 100 books’ lists I constantly keep looking up on the net. A Clockwork Orange was one from the latter category of online recommendations and I should have known that like most other books that miraculously make it to the top one hundred books to read before you die (!!!) lists, this too wouldn’t be worthy of making it to my personal list.

A Clockwork Orange is Anthony Burgess’s magnum opus which was later adapted into a film that came to be critically acclaimed. The book was published in 1962. 

The author has been quoted to have been ready to repudiate his book. He resents the fact that out of all the books that he’s written, this is the only book of his which is known. He has also gone on to call the film a damned nuisance. The book was apparently written in 3 weeks.
The book is partially written in a Russian influenced Argot (secret language used by groups to prevent others from understanding their conversation) called Nadsat and that is my biggest problem with this book. Well, the author has clearly succeeded in preventing me from understanding the book. One does get a hang of it after some time but I found it annoying. There’s a Glossary of Nadsat Language towards the end which I spotted ONLY after I completed the book. Here are a few examples : Appy polly loggy –apology, Bezoomny – mad, Bog – God, Choodesny – wonderful, Krovvy – blood, Oobivat – to kill, Prestoopnick – criminal, Pretty Polly – money.

If y’all wormsies got your noogies in em books for majority of the rotation of the limbs of the timepiece, you’d understand my consternation. Yours truly picked up the kindle and after 15 clicks felt the urge to tonker the lightweight into smithereens.  Oh, the style of writing and the choice of glued letters of Anglais have left me with lesser strands on my cerebrum cage. (Imagine having to read an entire book written like this).

The book is narrated by Alex, a teenager who with his gang members, wreaks havoc in the neighbourhood by beating up old defenceless people, robbing homes, raping women all under the influence of milk laced with drugs. One such burglary attempt goes awry and Alex ends up in prison. In prison, he’s chosen to participate in an experiment that seeks to modify the behaviour of violent criminals by making them watch violent pictures while simultaneously force feeding them medication that induces nausea. Alex is now gripped by nausea at the slightest hint of violence around him. Satisfied with the effectiveness of this experiment, Alex is released from prison. What follows this is Alex’s attempt to escape what he now considers a meaningless life. However, his actions from the past catch up. Will Alex truly reform? To know that, read the book at your own risk!

I have somehow made the book sound “thrilling”. It isn’t!

I find it difficult to be objective when the language of the book itself left me frustrated! When Alex’s father first makes his appearance in the book and I got to read the first coherent paragraph, I had tears of joy which sadly lasted for only a page or two.

As for the storyline, I fail to understand what all the hoo-haa was about.  The latter half of the book reminded me of One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest (another book that I didn’t enjoy reading). If you enjoyed OFOTCN, you may probably tolerate this book.

The book gained popularity mostly amongst teenagers for its representation of rebellion against suppression of free will. The author was also accused of glorifying sex and violence as crime rates went up especially after the release of the film.

I have no issues with the content of the book (but that could also be because I failed to understand half of what was happening in the book). If you go knock the tooth off of an old person after reading this book, the problem lies within you and not the book.

The only commendable quality in the story was the manner in which the author subtly condemns subjugation by State and stresses on the importance of free will.

Please do leave a comment below if this book is on your list of top100 books!

I started to watch the movie and then promptly deleted it after the first 5 minutes. I trust LP’s judgement who said the movie was far worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...