Tuesday 10 July 2018

BOILED EGG SALAD



Baking is reserved for the weekends, but I generally end up cooking “quick meals” or whipping up a last minute dish on Fridays. A few Fridays ago, as I got back home tired after a long day’s work, our help announced that there were no vegetables at home and dinner was just rice, curd and dal. I opened the fridge and spotted half a capsicum and a carrot, the size of my finger and our saviour for days such as these- The EGG.

I had made the mushroom cheese omelette the week before and didn’t want to repeat that and considered boiling the eggs.

Skip loves boiled eggs. Sky hates boiled egg. And I don’t mind them (boiled egg, I mean) but I do not like the yolk.


I decided on making a Boiled Egg Salad.

This is my own recipe. I added whatever I thought would go best with boiled eggs (oh well, whatever was available in the fridge), mixed a few sauces and herbs for the dressing, added a little nuts and cranberries and had the salad ready in no time.


Skip wasn’t pleased when he saw the cranberries, Sky lifted an eyebrow when he saw the boiled eggs and I was wondering how I’d separate the yolk after having given the salad a hearty toss.

A bowl each laden with the salad and a spoon in hand, the three of us polished off the salad - eggs, yolk and cranberries included and loved it!


Even if you don’t have the sauces I’ve used, I bet the salad would still taste great. The yolk and cheese add creaminess to the salad and will make up for the lack of sauce.  Archie asked me if the capsicum tasted great with the egg. It did! Please do not skip any of the ingredients mentioned here. You may substitute the walnut with almonds, salted pistachios or cashews. I love cranberries in my salads. You may use raisins but I wouldn’t recommend it.
A whole bowl of the salad is good enough for a full meal.


BOILED EGG SALAD  (SERVES 2 ADULTS AND A CHILD)

Ingredients:
Eggs (boiled and cooled) – 3
Carrot  (grated) – 1 (small)
Capsicum (diced) – handful
Cheese (diced) – 1 cube
Walnuts – handful
Cranberries- handful
Sweet chilli sauce – 1 tbsp
Honey mustard sauce – 3 tbsp
Italian herbs – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Pepper – to taste

Method:

1.      In a bowl, whisk together the honey-mustard and sweet chilli sauce (dressing).
2.      In a separate bowl, add roughly chopped boiled eggs, capsicum and carrot.
3.      Pour the dressing on the eggs and veggies and give it a good toss.
4.      Add the cheese, nuts and cranberries.
5.      Sprinkle herbs, salt and pepper and toss lightly.
6.      Done.

Recipe notes

·        The salad tastes better with cold ingredients.
  

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...