Wednesday 30 December 2020

VEGGIE STIR-FRY IN TERIYAKI SAUCE

 



I wish I were more experimental in the kitchen. There are very few dishes that I can cook without referring to a written recipe. I’m almost embarrassed to say that I often have to sneak a peek into my recipe book even when I make something as simple as Dal (in my defense, I don’t cook daily). Even when it comes to following recipes, I rarely divert from the given instructions. There are times when I’ve reduced or increased the quantity of an ingredient and what follows is a stressful wait to taste the end product. I rather just stick to the written instructions and this is why I research quite a bit before I make a new dish so I know that the dish turns out right.

On the other hand, Skip (my 8-year-old son),  likes exploring new ways to cook a particular dish or food product. He always has to add something ‘extra’ to what he’s cooking. While Skip gives instructions, Radha or I execute them. The other day Radha was cooking an omelette for Skip and I saw huge chunks of what looked like cheese on the egg. A closer inspection revealed those chunks to be slices of banana!!!

I lifted an eyebrow, Radha pointed at Skip.

Skip said it tasted awesome and tried to get me to eat it too. Needless to say, I didn’t.

Skip wants to add bananas with cheese omelette next. He said the sweet and salty combo would taste better!!!

I love sweet-savoury combo too and that’s just what this dish is. It is easy to make , perfect for those nights when you don’t have leftovers from lunch or when you have a few random vegetables lying around in the fridge and want to dump them all to make a quick stir-fry. It tastes best with steamed rice.



VEGGIE STIR-FRY IN TERIYAKI SAUCE

Ingredients:

Carrot – 1

Zucchini – 1

Paneer (cottage cheese) – 100 gm

Capsicum – ½

Salt - as per taste

For the sauce:

Soy Sauce – 1/3 cup

Sugar/honey – 1 ½ tbsp

Grated ginger – 1 tsp

Minced garlic cloves – 1 tsp

Cornflour/cornstarch – 2 tsp

 

Method:

 

1.     Whisk all the sauce ingredients until the sugar melts.

2.     Heat a skillet on high and sauté the vegetables ( starting from the hard vegetables) and cook until done. Add salt for taste. 

3.   Pour the sauce on the cooked vegetables and cook for another minute. The sauce will thicken.

4.     Done.

 

Recipe Notes:

·       I’ve mentioned the vegetables I used. You could also add other vegetables of your choice such as mushrooms, broccoli.

·       Do not over-cook the vegetables else they’ll turn soggy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Love to read your story before the recipe.
    Easy and sounds scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...