Tuesday 23 July 2019

VICTORIA SPONGE CAKE WITH WHIPPED CREAM AND STRAWBERRY COMPOTE



Papa’s birthday was in February and I had to go through the photo gallery to see which cake I had baked! I had a completely different recipe in mind but ended up baking the Victorian Sponge as I didn’t get the ingredients I wanted for the white chocolate cake.




I stayed up till 12 ‘googling’ ideas to decorate the cake and finally came up with whipped cream and strawberry compote topping.  In our Mango ice cream recipe, I have explained how to make whipped cream from regular fresh cream. I’ve used Amul Fresh cream for this recipe too.

You may also check our post on Victoria Sponge Cake with cream cheese icing

There were contradictory views on the way the cake looked. While everyone agreed that the cake tasted heavenly, some didn’t think it looked very pretty. Ahem! I thought it looked very nice. What do you think?  

Strawberry compote makes for a great topping for cakes! The sweetness of the cake went well with the tangy strawberry compote offset by the mildly sweetened cream. I winged the compote recipe. Add the lime juice and sugar as per your taste.






I had some leftover cream and compote which I used to make ‘Trifle in a Jar’. I wish I had clicked some better pictures of those. I brought the mason jars out after a heavy meal. Sky said he was too full to eat the whole thing and Skip in his typical fashion when presented with ‘new food’ suspiciously eyed the jar and said he’ll just have one spoon of it. After 10 minutes, I see that Sky and Skip had polished off the entire jar. Skip was busy licking the spoon and Sky was rummaging through the fridge to see if there’s more. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram and you’ll know when we put up the recipe for this trifle.  



VICTORIA SPONGE CAKE WITH WHIPPED CREAM AND STRAWBERRY COMPOTE

Ingredients: 
                                                                                    
For the cake

Flour- 175 gms
Butter- 175 gms
Castor Sugar- 150 gms
Eggs – 3
Baking Powder – 1tsp
Baking Soda – 1tsp
Vanilla Essence– 2 tsp

For the Strawberry Compote:
Handful of fresh strawberries
Lime juice – 1 ½ tbsp
Sugar – 1 ½ tbsp (as per taste)

Method:

1.      Preheat oven to 180 C and line your baking dish (8 inch pan).
2.      Cream butter and sugar until soft and fluffy.
3.      Add eggs one at a time beating well with each addition.
4.      Sieve flour, baking powder, baking soda and add to the above mixture. Mix well.
5.      Add vanilla essence.
6.      Bake for 20-25 minutes or till done. Set aside and let it cool.
7.      Whip the cream and set aside.
8.     For the strawberry compote: Cook strawberries over medium heat. Add the lime juice and sugar and cook for about 10 to 12 minutes stirring it at frequent intervals.  As it cooks and begins to soften, use the back of the ladle to mash the fruit. Cook until it starts to thicken slightly and the fruit is soft but still in pieces. Let it cool.
9.      Assemble the cake by topping it with cream and the compote.
10. Done.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...