Thursday 14 June 2018

Menstrual Cups- The cup of victory



One fine morning a few weeks back, I got a WhatsApp message from The Man giving me some gyan on Menstrual Cups. While most of my girl friends were thinking, pads vs. tampons, I was excited to know more about this new translucent silicone cup. 

Why was I being so stupid and still using sanitary pads and adding to the garbage? I had been hearing so much about it off late, why didn’t I give it a thought?  But then, I had my apprehensions about using it. What is a Menstrual Cup? How does one even manage to insert that big thing inside? OMG, it looks like a sex toy.  I finally thought I would order it and if I didn’t use it, I would use the cup to make tequila shots. Gross!! I know ;) 

 I did end up ordering it and the courier guy delivered my happy package. I wasn't sure if I would really use it. It went into my wardrobe and this was the first time in the last 15 years I anxiously waited for my period to start. Voila! The big day arrived and I opened this silicone cup. I locked the room door, opened the manual and it took around 10 mins for me to get into a comfortable position and angle to insert the cup. Haha, I used a mirror too! Within minutes, the cup was inside and I felt no presence of it at all. I was on cloud nine, dancing in joy, doing my ramp walk and I messaged a few friends about the victory. You can use this cup easily during your period because the vagina is naturally lubricated. 

Kya hai yeh menstrual cup? 
It's a small flexible cup made of medical grade silicone. Instead of being absorbed, the blood is accumulated in the cup. This eliminates the fear of Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) usually caused by tampons. Menstrual cups are manufactured by several companies like Wow Freedom cup, Diva Cup, Silky Cup or any "typical girly name cup".  They also come in different sizes and colours, with varying stem lengths and one can pick and choose from these permutations and combinations depending on your cervix type and age. Once done for the monthly cycle you need to sterilise this cup by boiling it for 10 mins. This would definitely scandalise your mom or mom in law and she would sprinkle cow urine (gau mutra) used for purification in vaastu shastra. Keep some cow urine handy too with this cup if you think you have a Lalita Pawar kinda mother in law. ;) 

Image sourced from the Internet 

 
How does it work? 
You first need to wash your hands and the cup under running water (without soap). You fold it and insert it into your vagina. You need to relax your muscles while you insert it. It will unfold naturally. You need to hold the string and push it a bit. (No it won’t get lost inside). It will rest against your vaginal walls. This action helps to reduce cramps – yeah! You read that right.  IT HELPS REDUCE CRAMPS. 
 How long does it last? 
That depends on your personal flow and cup. On average it holds 3 spoons of blood. It's recommended to change it every twelve hours. On my two heaviest days, I empty it when I wake up and right before going to bed. On the remaining days, I only change it before going to bed. 
 What happens when the cup is full? 
Do this sitting on the toilet or squat down. There's a stem like a tampon string that you can tug on or Kegel down. When the stem of the cup is out you can easily pinch the base of the cup releasing the suction. Flip the cup out and dump the blood into the toilet bowl. Rinse the cup out in the sink and reinsert. 
What about leaking? 
I have never had a problem with leaking. I can confidently carry off my white pants now. Commando kinda confidence. I have never felt so secure and confident ever during a period. Everyone is different, but if you're having problems with leaking, you may have the wrong type of cup for your body. There are different cups for teens, for ages 20+ and for ages 30+. It depends on the cervix opening. 
Benefits: 
Better for your body
Tampons absorb 35% of your natural moisture causing a pH imbalance. They also leave behind fibers and can cause TSS and infections. If they aren't organic, they will leach bleach and other not so nice chemicals into your blood stream. 
Better for the environment
One cup can last 10 - 20 years. You're diverting at the least 2,880 sanitary pads from the landfill. Think of all the resources you're saving just by using this one single product ? 
Happy on the wallet!
A one-time Rs 400/- a cup purchase that lasts 12 years,over the Rs 200/- spent on every period! That's over Rs 2400/-savings per year. 
Other things I love - never having to rush to the store at midnight; because, my period unexpectedly started, it’s mess free, stink free and I can finally say a good bye to thigh rashes and garbage!
I have been successfully using the cup for a few cycles now and I am now happily blogging my experience on Bob and Lulu, urging all the women reading this, to start using a menstrual cup and say 'bye bye' to sanitary pads. If you are a man and you’re reading this, share it with your sister, your cousins, your girlfriend, your partner, your colleague. This is easily available on Amazon and you have an array of choices! It’s not just about hygiene or cost issues but it’s about being a sensible citizen and reducing landfills too.

PREETI MANEESH

Born and raised as an individual thinker and decision maker, an entrepreneur by profession, fitness enthusiast by choice, Preeti believes in woman empowerment and loves all things happy. She runs a preschool, works with little children, is an art & craft blogger, wannabe photographer and a mom to a 5 year old. 


7 comments:

  1. Does the blood spill within itself if one sleeps? Also one doesnt need to remove it when one pees, isnt it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Preeti Maneesh14 June 2018 at 16:53

      Nope if you chose the right size of the cup, it doesnt spill. I never had issues. Also you need not remove it while peeing. The passages are different and the cup doesn't pose a challenge to it.

      The cup size differs for young adults, 20+ women, 30+ women. So choose according toy your cervix type

      Delete
  2. Preeti Maneesh14 June 2018 at 16:49

    Dr Faisal,

    Appreciate your opinion on it. I did consult my gyanaecologist on this. She said everything has its own boons and banes and has to be used in a proper way, the cup has to be sterilized after every cycle. She knew a few people who have been using it for quite some time without any issues. But, every body is different. and like you said its always better to consult a Gynaecologist. Specially for women with IUD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Helpful post, I will surely try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I am keen in using this kinda cup. Please please guide whiwh company cup rt use?How to know which size suits our body?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helllo, thanks for posting this informative and useful post. your blog is very nice, such useful information is very accurate and I love learning more on this.


    Sirona Premium Digital Tampon are designed to be easily inserted into the vagina during menstruation& absorb the menstrual flow. They are made up of compressed layer of highly absorbent fibers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...